Contemplative practices and Sugar content

Before knowing Contemplative practices, I did not think about the sugar content in my food. However, Contemplative methods, discussed in lecture, was fascinating because helped me feel more deeply and deliberately. Contemplation helps one to be self-disciplined and helpful in training your body and spirit. Initially, sugar was only allowed for rich people and was a highly valuable and luxury item by A.D 1000. Besides, sugar was an ingredient in virtually every medicine and used for preservative. This shows that sugar was rare and people did not consume it a lot. However, in current society sugar is produced artificially in factories, so sugar prices have decreased rapidly. This mass production system met with a good result that people can purchase it easily with lower rates in anywhere, on the other hands, it caused many problems that their sugar intake also increased as much as people buying sugar with the lower prices. For example, the sugar in most sweet drinks harms your teeth and may result in excessive weight gain, and when the body detects overload of sugar, it forces the pancreas to go into overdrive. After I just got off work and had late dinner. Now under my very nose, there is chocolate. What shall I do?

1 thought on “Contemplative practices and Sugar content

1. Robert Allen Diaz

jin, i have to say i enjoyed your post. I take a lot of interest in sugar because it is such an interesting ingredient. Sugar used to be so rare, valuable and used for other purposes. Today, that same substance that was once for only the wealthy, is now in abundance and overused by all. Its actually very scary. I would say the wealthy still control it and use it but in different ways. Sugar is an item that is in almost everything we eat or drink today. I used to suffer from a bad “Sweet tooth” and it took me so long to get over that. I was dependent on sugar to enjoy foods and that dependency changed the way foods tasted to me. America has an epidemic with a sugar crisis and the link to obesity and it is scary because that type of life style is promoted in such a positive lime light and it should not be. I do not believe in body shaming, and there can be countless reasons why people are overweight or unhealthy but sugar is one of the main contributors to our dangerous epidemic. There has to be a fine line between telling people ” its ok to eat the things you do and look the way you want to ” and when its too late we tell them ” you have diabetes” or worse… my father was addicted to smoking so he used drinking juices to help him curve his addiction to cigarettes… he thought he was doing good by not smoking and he would drink juice every time he had a craving… long story short, he drank juice, with so much sugar in it over such a long period of time every single day that it drove him into a diabetic attack and went to the ER. He pushed himself into diabetes and he’s a moderately healthy guy in body weight for a 65 year old man.
    sugar is sweet but it can be deadly.

Reply