Music For World Hunger

No Comments on Music For World Hunger

Hunger has been a prevalent topic in this course.  Over the last 10 weeks we’ve seen plenty of examples of how hunger effects people across the world (The hungry planet, Kenyan farmers eating grasshoppers in off seasons, King Corn, etc.)  World hunger is a big problem and initially our group wasn’t sure how the 6 of us were supposed to help that.  Our group decided that local issues play into these larger global issues so to do our part, we needed to help hunger local to us.

For this group action project my group went through a number of ideas for what we could do, but in the end decided on doing a sort of benefit concert.  Our plan was to host a few local Seattle bands at a venue close to the UW campus.  Guests could pay for their admission or they could donate a number of non-perishable foods.  The money from those who chose to pay would be donated to OxFam which is a larger group that works to fight world hunger and the non-perishable foods would be donated to nearby food bank.  There was a lot to be learned in this project because neither myself nor any of my group members had ever planned an event like this before.  Because of this there were a number of humps in the road along the way that we had to problem solve

For me, this project pointed out the realities of working with a large number of people.  I’ve worked on my fair share of group projects but never a project of this size and definitely not with a group of 5 other people.  It wasn’t impossible but it also was not easy to keep everyone on the same page at all times since our group meetings unfortunately never had every group member present.  However, this gave us a more “real world” application for all of the problem solving and organization our project required.